Neo Soul Today

Neo Soul Today is an authoritative source for informed and intelligent opinion, reviews, news, and other content about neo soul music, its artists, culture, and industry.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Still Alive

I just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive. Fatherhood and career have been consuming me since my last post. But, hey; here at Neo Soul Today it's not about quantity, it's about quality. So, stay tuned. However, just to keep it fair and balanced, I have been formulating my next post. My hope is that it will be just as thought-provoking as my last (Are Neo Soul Listeners Elitists?). Since you've been so loyal, I'll let you know what I plan to title it: "Overall, Do Overseas Listeners Appreciate Neo Soul More?" I plan to incorporate some intriguing commentary from some listeners from around the globe to see if the question answers itself.

Speaking of my last post, what's up? Where's the opinion? Agree, disagree? I want to hear your thoughts.

Also, for those of you who have attempted to click an audio link in one of my past Neo Soul Sound Sessions, I apologize for them not working. The web hosts where I store the audio for them are located in various countries around the world. Some of them are here one day and gone the next. I will restore that audio as soon as I can.

In the meantime, my hobby hasn't waned. Whenever I've found a free moment, I have been trying to catch up on researching for new, underground neo soul artists or new upcoming albums. When you have time, check out these artists:

1. Debórah Bond (
website - cdbaby)
2. Vanessa Freeman (
website - iTunes)
3. Carol Riddick (
website)

Finally, if you don't keep up with the world of underground music, you may have never heard of J Dilla. J Dilla was an outstanding Hip Hop producer whose sound has its own unique, underground signature. His reach and body of work includes contributions to projects by artists too numerous to list. Unfortunately, on Febrary 10, 2006 he gave way to an incurable blood disease and lupus leaving behind massive numbers of mourning underground artists and listeners worldwide. Just to give you a sense of his contribution, take some time to listen to this commemorative compilation courtesy of toddkelly.net (WARNING: explicit lyrics).

-- Sean

12 Comments:

At May 16, 2006 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your son is adorable. He has the prettiest eyes!

 
At May 16, 2006 10:43 PM, Blogger Neo Soul Today Staff said...

green eyes -- She hasn't that I'm aware of. I just got Debórah Bond's 2003 Day After album today. It's an excellent underground album that one wouldn't find easily. I love it and plan to write about it and two other CDs I got! I'm impressed that you're aware of her. Before a couple weeks ago, I never even heard of her. But I must say, up to this point, the best neo soul album I've ever heard was one I accidentally ran across in the record store (Antoinique) which was released two years earlier.

anonymous -- Thanks, doesn't he! That's my little ace boon coon and I wanted the world to know it.

 
At April 05, 2007 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually have all three of these CDs and they are all very good. Carol Riddick's is AMAZING!!!

 
At March 01, 2008 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The death of this blog epitomizes what happened to "neo soul". Its core fans (generation x'ers) simply grew up and life caught up with them.

The renewal of soul can arguably be said to have begun in 1995 with DeAngelo. During that time most of us were in the midst of our young adult life, still single, money in our pockets, and no children. We had grown up listening to our parent's soul albums so we were a ripe market for this new soul music. However, later generations grew up only on hip-hop and canned r&b. They never had the experience of flipping over an album on the turntable and other intricacies that made the soul listening experience so organic.

But as the 21st century progressed we gen. x'ers began our families along with other responsibilities of took time away from keeping up with the music scene, thus the slow death of so called neo soul. Of course, it will never truly die but I doubt if it will ever get back to the 1995-2001 heyday of neo soul.

 
At September 28, 2009 5:42 PM, Blogger bdub said...

Hello, I'm trying to reach the editor of this blog. The e-mail address I had bounced back. Please let me know the best way to reach,

Thank You,

Bdub

 
At February 17, 2010 2:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuGuINegBZ4 heres some soul

 
At March 30, 2010 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Neo-soul thats why you should vist Neo-soullovers.blogspot.com

 
At May 21, 2010 7:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

New track By Susan Deborahs, Upcoming UK artist, Neo-soul twist


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWqJsdK8XVo

 
At October 17, 2010 6:06 PM, Anonymous Neo Soul Artists fan said...

There's a new generation of neo soul artists keeping the sound alive.

 
At November 25, 2020 5:14 PM, Anonymous online erectile dysfunction prescription said...

I used to be recommended this blog by way of my cousin. I am no longer positive whether or not this post is written through him as no one else recognise such detailed approximately my problem. You're amazing! Thanks!

 
At November 25, 2020 5:19 PM, Anonymous erection pills said...

I'm pretty pleased to find this web site. I want to to thank you for your time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every little bit of it and i also have you book-marked to check out new things in your blog.

 
At November 25, 2020 5:23 PM, Anonymous ed pills online said...

If you are going for most excellent contents like I do, only pay a visit this web page every day for the reason that it gives quality contents, thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home